Website hosting is the first step in setting up your website and is much easier than you might think! In this step-by-step guide, we’ll show you how to set up SiteGround hosting for your WordPress website and unlock a world of possibilities for your online business or blog.
First, let’s talk about what hosting is and why you need it.
Disclaimer: This blog post contains affiliate links for products I use and love, which may make me a commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting my small business!
Start Your Website Here
What is Website Hosting?
Website hosting refers to the service of storing and making web pages and website content accessible to users on the internet. When you create a website, you generate various files, such as HTML, CSS, images, and multimedia content, that need to be stored on a server connected to the internet. This server is typically provided by a web hosting company – the one I use is called SiteGround.
Here’s some tech talk on how website hosting works. This may help you understand how your site works and how the parts of it work together.
- Server Space: Web hosting companies maintain large, powerful computers known as servers. These servers are optimized to be online 24/7, ensuring that your website is accessible to users at any time.
- File Storage: When you sign up for a web hosting service, you are allocated a certain amount of storage space on their server. This is where you upload all the files that make up your website, including HTML documents, images, videos, and any other content.
- Domain Name: To make your website accessible to users, you also need a domain name (e.g., www.yourwebsite.com). You can purchase a domain name separately or through the same hosting provider. I recommend getting a domain with SiteGround when you get your hosting because then all of your information is in one place and is easy to manage.
- DNS Configuration: You need to configure your domain name’s DNS (Domain Name System) settings to point to your hosting server’s IP address. This step ensures that when someone enters your domain name in a web browser, they are directed to the correct server where your website files are stored. If you get your domain with SiteGround – this is already done for you!
- Server Management: Web hosting providers often offer a range of server management services, including security, maintenance, and backup solutions. Some hosting options are shared, meaning multiple websites share the same server, while others offer dedicated servers for more control and resources.
- Website Access: Once your website is hosted and properly configured, users worldwide can access it by entering your domain name into their web browsers. The server will send the requested web page files to the user’s browser, allowing them to view your site.
When we use the analogy that your website is a house:
- Your domain is your home’s address
- Your host is the land
- WordPress is the structure – the house, walls, roof, rooms
- Your website theme (colors, fonts, photos) is the decor
What this means:
A website hosting company allows you to have and set up a website online. You pay for website hosting and for your domain, but WordPress (and WooCommerce to sell products) are free.
Why SiteGround Hosting?
I’ve used different hosting providers in the past, so I’m not here to only promote this one because it’s the only one I’ve used – that isn’t true. I’m talking about it because I think it’s the best and it’s the one I recommend for my clients. I’ve moved all of my websites to SiteGround hosting, and my husband’s company has also (he runs a marketing firm).
Why SiteGround is the Best Hosting Option for Your WordPress Website:
- Simple – They have an easy-to-use interface that walks you through how to get started and set up your site. You can see the options of exactly what you have to do.
- Service – They have accessible customer service. You can actually talk with a human! This is more rare in today’s era of customer service and I like this option very much.
- Speed – One of the key factors that sets SiteGround apart is its emphasis on speed. With SiteGround hosting, you won’t have sluggish load times or delays. SiteGround’s technologies are designed to optimize website performance, and can even scale when your traffic does. Often you have 3-5 seconds for someone to make an impression of your site – this is why speed matters with your host. SiteGround ensures your website loads with lightning speed, keeping your visitors engaged and satisfied.
- Security – Another standout feature of SiteGround is its commitment to security. With advanced security measures like the AI anti-bot system, proactive server monitoring, and daily backups (very important!), SiteGround provides a fortress-like environment for your WordPress website. You can have peace of mind knowing that your data is protected from any potential threats and vulnerabilities.
Start Your Website Here
Now, I’ll guide you through the process of choosing the perfect SiteGround hosting plan, tailored to your specific needs and requirements. So let’s dive in and get started on the first step.
How to Get Started With SiteGround Hosting
I’ll share this info two ways – video and written – so you can use the one that works best for you.
Here are your steps:
- Choose the perfect hosting plan tailored to your needs
- Get or register your domain name
- Install WordPress on SiteGround
Step 1: Choosing the Perfect SiteGround Hosting Plan
The first step in setting up your WordPress website with SiteGround is to select the best hosting plan. SiteGround offers three main plans (as of the publishing of this blog post): StartUp, GrowBig, and GoGeek. Each plan is designed to accommodate different levels of traffic and website complexity.
The StartUp plan is perfect for beginners or those with smaller websites. It provides all the essential features you need to get your website up and running smoothly. With this plan, you can host one website and have up to 10,000 monthly visits. It’s a great starting point for new website owners who want reliable hosting without breaking the bank.
StartUp is the plan I recommend to all of my clients because of their website needs, but it’s also very affordable.
If you anticipate more traffic or have multiple websites, the GrowBig plan might be the best fit for you. This plan allows you to host multiple websites and can handle up to 25,000 monthly visits. On top of the features included in the StartUp plan, you’ll also enjoy advanced caching options and priority support. This is the current plan I use for my websites.
Finally, the GoGeek plan is perfect for websites that require the highest level of performance and resources. It can handle up to 100,000 monthly visits and provides additional benefits like advanced on-demand backups, staging, and Git integration. If your website requires maximum speed and scalability, the GoGeek plan is worth considering. You would only need this if you are an established blogger or site owner and have this kind of traffic.
To choose the perfect hosting plan, consider the size and complexity of your website, as well as your anticipated traffic. If you’re unsure which plan is right for you, SiteGround’s support team is always available to offer guidance and assistance.
Step 2: Registering a Domain Name with SiteGround
Note: This step is not required if you already have a domain from another service like Google Domains, NameCheap or GoDaddy for example. If you do have one, you will connect it when you set up your hosting. Follow the SiteGround directions on that.
OR if you start with buying hosting on SiteGround, it will ask you to connect or get your domain during those steps.
By registering your domain name with SiteGround, you can easily manage your website and hosting in one convenient location. Plus, SiteGround’s domain registration service ensures that your website is secure and protected.
To get started, simply navigate to the SiteGround website and click on the “Register a Domain” option. You’ll be prompted to enter the desired domain name you want to register. It’s essential to choose a domain name that represents your brand and is easy for visitors to remember.
Once you’ve entered your desired domain name, SiteGround will check its availability. If your chosen domain name is available, you can proceed with the registration process. SiteGround will guide you through the necessary steps, including providing your contact information and selecting the registration duration.
During the registration process, SiteGround also offers additional services such as domain privacy protection and email hosting. Domain privacy protection helps to keep your personal information private, while email hosting allows you to create professional email addresses using your domain name. These may be optional depending on what you need for your business at this time.
After providing the required information and selecting any additional services, you can review your order and proceed to the checkout. Once your domain registration is complete, you’ll receive a confirmation email with all the necessary details.
With your domain name registered through SiteGround, you’re now ready to move on to the next step: installing WordPress on your SiteGround hosting. This will allow you to start building your website and customizing it according to your needs. So, let’s dive into the exciting world of WordPress and take your website to the next level.
Step 3: Installing WordPress on SiteGround Hosting
With your domain name registered through SiteGround, you’re now ready to dive into WordPress and get your website published. Installing WordPress on your SiteGround hosting is a crucial step that will allow you to start building your website and customizing it according to your needs.
When installing WordPress, you’ll need to create a unique username and a secure password for your WordPress admin account. Make sure to choose a strong password to protect your website.
Once you have filled in all the necessary information, click on the “Install” button to initiate the WordPress installation process. SiteGround will automatically install WordPress on your hosting account, and you’ll be able to access your website’s dashboard shortly.
After the installation is complete, you’ll receive a confirmation email with all the details you need to access your WordPress website. This email will include your website’s URL, your WordPress admin login URL, and your username. Keep this information safe and easily accessible, as you’ll need it to log in and start customizing your WordPress website.
Congrats! You have successfully set up hosting for your website and can now begin to create, customize and use your website. Look for more blog posts that go into detail on how to do that.
Pro Note: If you have questions or need help, please connect with SiteGround’s Help Center or customer service. They can best answer your questions on what to do what needs to be done for your own website.
Here is an overview of the SiteGround Dashboard so you know how things work behind the scenes.